Holistic Dental Care
Holistic dentistry is a gentler alternative to conventional dentistry. It is more about whole person care of the mouth, using non-toxic dental restorative materials, microbiological control of gum infections, herbal therapy, homeopathy, and more. Our staff is dedicated and trained to using the most biocompatible dental materials available and understanding their affects upon your health.
In holistic dentistry, one important decision you make is choosing an alternative to dental amalgam cavity fillings. An amalgam filling is a mixture of half silver and half mercury, and mercury is a toxic element and known poison. When it is released into the body where it lodges into the body’s tissues, it causes poisoning and a lowered immune response. Additionally, during amalgam removal, some believe that unless one takes precautions (i.e. a dental dam), there will be a great deal of mercury poisoning.
Dr. McConnell maintains a membership to the Holistic Dental Association and the International Association of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) to keep up to date on advancements and holistic treatments.
We provide safe amalgam filling removal and treatment, we offer the following holistic alternatives:
- Safe Mercury Removal
- Probably the major factor that differentiates our practice from others is our treatment of mercury as a toxic substance. Dr. McConnell carries SMART certification from the IAOMT and will have Accreditation following the upcoming IAOMT meeting in March 2017. At this time, we have chosen not to post photographs of our safe mercury removal process but we are happy to review it with any patient at the practice.
- Our protocol for safe mercury removal focuses on limiting any exposure to patients and staff to mercury. It starts in hygiene where we do not polish mercury fillings because there is evidence that polishing these fillings releases mercury and the benefits of polishing are much less well established than the risks of mercury exposure.
- When a patient comes to the practice for a mercury removal, we have one room designed for safe mercury removal and use this room for this purpose. There is no safe level of mercury as established by the EPA. Our protocol is designed to limit mercury exposure during the removal of amalgam fillings. Our protocol includes:
- Optional activated charcoal
- Full body protection (disposable gown and hair and eye cover)
- Safe breathing source for patient (oxygen)
- Use of non latex rubber dam that is coated with HgX mercury decontamination cream: http://ptfecatalog.actontech.com/item/hgx-mercury-decontaminant/hgx-mercury-decontaminant-hand-cream/hgx--12oz-1
- Ionized air to remove free radicals generated
- Chunk and cool technique
- Air filtration of vapors removed
- Dual ventilated operator masks
- Use of an amalgam separator to prevent mercury being released into wastewater
- Ozone Treated Water
- We distill all the water that we use in our practice on patients. Additionally, for certain applications, we offer ozone-treated water in sterilization of cavity preparations and use ozonated water in lieu of harsher chemicals in keeping our practice clean.
- Biocompatibility Testing
- We focus on minimizing toxicity of dental materials that we use on patients.
- There are many dental products available on the market, some are more biocompatible than others. If you have specific questions or concerns about the types of dental materials that you may be sensitive to, we may encourage you to have a biomaterials test done to ensure that anything that goes into your body will not cause a bad reaction for you. There are currently two biocompatibility tests on the market and we typically use this test to avoid toxic materials: http://www.biocomplaboratories.com/biocompatibility-Testing-Dental-Toxicity.html
- Tooth remineralization
- When a patient has early carious lesions, we try to focus on remineralization of these lesions prior to making a decision to fill them.
- Alternative Ozone treatments
- X-Ray Alternative Device
- Flouride-Free Dental Care
- Nutritional Counseling
- We encourage patients to follow a more alkaline producing diet and limit exposure to acidic foods.
- Dental Herb Company Products
- Consultation for any type of desired holistic services